Friday, May 31, 2013

DIY Beauty, Hydrating Oil Hair Mask

I am constantly on Pinterest pinning DIY hair masks, usually made from simple ingredients found in the kitchen. Finally last night I got around to making one.  I chose the simplest recipe I could find, a hydrating, oil mask with only two ingredients, Olive Oil & Honey.

Oil treatments are so popular right now and I style my hair using Moroccan Oil every time I wash it.  Oil is great for hydrating and adding shine to hair.  Oil molecules are small enough to penetrate the hair cuticle, not just coat the hair like silicons and other popular shine treatments. They are also small enough to wash right out when you shampoo your hair, not causing any gross build-up over time. It was obvious to me olive oil was a great ingredient for this hair mask.
I had heard honey was great for hair, but I wasn't sure why.  So after a bit of reading I learned it is full of vitamins and minerals, and attracts moisture to your hair.

Here is the recipe...






After washing out the mask, I went to bed with damp hair to let it dry
over night.  When I woke up and looked in the mirror, expecting to see super shiny, super healthy looking hair, what I saw instead was greasy, oily looking hair that was not at all attractive!
So after all that effort, I ended up with a head full of dry shampoo and a ponytail. Bummer.





I feel this mask is best for those with dry coarse hair.  If I try it again I will shampoo my whole hair and not just my roots afterwards, I didn't want to wash out all the moisture from the ends, turns out it needed to be washed out.  Overall I am not such a fan of this mask, I will stick to a professional oil based mask, like Pureology's Precious Oil Mask, for thick/coarse hair, or Moroccan Oil's Weightless Hydrating Mask, for thin/fine hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment